Spring Cleaning on the mind? I know this weekend I was dragged off the couch to wash the baseboards as my wife (who looked like she was in Pre-baby nesting mode) was frantically cleaning. Not my idea of fun.. but secretly was satisfying after it was finished, plus I then felt guilt-free to nap.
So I thought there must me some biological reason that we and our lovely wives get the erg to 'Spring Clean' I'm no scientist so i'll leave that up to them, but here are some very handy tips to earn you some "brownie" points.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR DISHWASHER:
It's gross, but it even grosser having to re-wash your dishes
- Wipe the edges and seal with your favorite all-purpose cleaner or white vinegar.
- Remove the bottom rack and check for any food particles or blockages.
- Pour a cup of vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher and sprinkle with about 1/4 cup baking soda (optional) – the baking soda can help to break down any build up with the vinegar.
- Run dishwasher on a quick wash, hot, sanitize cycle. This will ensure that your dishwasher is completely clean and that any mineral build-up is washed away.
- When the dishwasher has completed its cycle wipe dry with a microfiber cloth or paper towel.
CLEAN YOUR SHOWER DRAIN
This is one of the WORST jobs to do, but it has to be done in order to prevent an even grosser mess in the future.
This is a great how to video:
I would recommend:
- Pouring ½ cup of baking soda down the drain
- Tthen follow it with a ½ cup of vinegar
- Cover it with a wet cloth, then wait five minutes
- Uncover and flush the drain with hot water. it will help to break up bits and remove a little bit of the smell.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR KITCHEN SINK
It’s a nasty truth, but your kitchen sink often has more bacteria than your toilet seat. To disinfect it:
- Clean your sink with soap and water first.
- Then spray a mist of vinegar followed by a mist of hydrogen peroxide.
- Let it air dry.
If your sink is stainless steel, make it sparkle by putting a few drops of mineral oil on a soft cloth and buffing the surface. This prevents water buildup, which deters mold and keeps the sink looking clean longer.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR WASHING MACHINE
Washing machines can become a breeding ground for salmonella and other germs. When you clean certain whites in hot water, your washing machine is being cleaned as well. But once a month, run an empty load with hot water and white vinegar to sanitize the basin and wipe out any lingering germs.
Doing these simple tasks can save your home from other major disasters, and then you both can earn a deserving 'Nap' Together